Thursday, January 16, 2020

Postcards - The Good Soldier



The first thing to say, and the most important is that music really is universal, specially today.
Postcards are a Lebanese band, from their capital, Beirut. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to Portuguese radio and they passed their song "Lights Out". I enjoyed it, used Shazam to know more about them and soon I discovered that, in this edge of Europe, in a small country, a radio was playing music from Lebanon. Isn't it wonderful? Doesn't it open a lot of possibilities and a lot of fantastic cultural exchange? I think it is beautiful.

Anyway, I went home and noticed that Postcards had just released their second album, "The Good Soldier". I discovered also that they had been touring with the band Beirut, among other things.
They had released their debut album 2 years ago, which I listened to it after the new one.

Postcards are described as a indie/rock, dream/pop band. In my opinion, it's true, but they are definitely a typical dream/pop band. If we had to label their music, specially their second album, I would say it lays somewhere in a dark/dream/post/indie. For example, imagine more complex, darker and lyrical version of Beach House.
It's funny. Most of the songs really have their dark and depressing tone like "Dead End", "Lights Out" or the title track "The Good Soldier" but, in the same album you can listen to another ones that really have a joyful and lightning sound like "Fossilized" or "Spiderwebs". Actually, when I first listened to "Fossilized" I though it was super great, the best track on the album, beautiful and it should be the single (and later i discovered that it is).
Julia Sabra sings in a lyrical way, specially in the ballads, that favours to get the nostalgic feelings.
Also, there's 2 instrumental pieces, some speed up songs like "Hunting Season", some typical modern pop/rock songs like "Freediving" and a lot of introspective moments.

In a resume, although we are still in January, I think that "Fossilized" will be one of my top song of this year and "The Good Soldier" is an excellent album by an exotic and fantastic band. Their interior sound makes you feel part of them, makes you wonder about life, about the beautiful things.
That's way I always preferred the dramatic and darker music moments on the albums, they connect some much more with you, in a special way.
Hoping to see them soon in Portugal. Primavera Sound in Porto would fit them as a glove.

No comments: