Friday, January 10, 2020

Morrissey - New Single Review



As I said in the beginning on this year, Morrissey is set to release a new album with 11 new original songs. The album will be called "I Am Not A Dog On A Chain".
The first single is "Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?"
Morrissey is a legendary artist. Yes, with a lot of political (terrible) opinions but I'm not here for that. I'm here to talk about music, and that's what we should talk right now.
Morrissey has stabilised his own style, I don't believe he will, ever gain, write a turning point album. He is what he is, and his music sounds like that. Exactly the same way some legendary artists like Paul McCartney, Depeche Mode, Rolling Stones, U2, etc. They will continue to write marvellous songs but will never re-invent themselves again, and that's fine and good!

So, this songs has of course a lot of typical Moz here, the lyrics are, most of it very abstracts and non-sense at first reading (like most of the poetry) but actually, I have the feeling that he might be talking about himself. He is like describing someone that, in the eyes of others did a bad thing but "ah the pleasure you bring for us, ah whenever you sing for us". Morrissey is very criticised in press, so he could be Bobby, the man who did the horrendous thing, but, whenever he sings, his forever full audience will come and enjoy the concerts. Of course I may be completely wrong. The sing could not be actually sing, could be a charm for being forgiven. But I think I did had a point.

Melodically, dispute what I said in the beginning of this article, he does gives a step forward, in a not so comfortable jazz trait. He has the help of the amazing Thelma Houston who gives a really big flow and chill to the song, but also the instrumental is amazing. The hard saxophones in the background and the twisted piano riffs give a really big soul to the song. Makes the difference. And the length of the song (almost 6 minutes) gives space and time for everyone have their moment and for the listener to internalize with the music.
In the middle of all of this jazzy world, then comes up that typical and characteristic voice, that pushes you away from the little bit 60's jazz groove, which makes it a pop and commercial song.  

It's a great song, I'm looking forward the album.

I know most people don't like Morrissey, me, also don't agree with his political views and I found terrible and wrong his comments, but I also think that he is a depressing difficult person, that can't handle life very well. And the music press seems to focus only on that.

The NME wrote a terrible non-sense review of this song. It's bad that they can be impartial and talk about the music, and only the music itself. I don't agree with that and I honestly think it is bad journalism. 
People that don't agree with Morrissey political views, be superior, be diplomatic, and don't be the person that you are trying to fight, be better, and give people a chance to release their work and for it to be appreciated it, musically is good. Fight with peace.

Here's Moz's new single:



No comments: