Friday, November 20, 2020

The Grace Of Jeff Buckley



Two days ago was the birthday of Jeff Buckley.

I usually say that Jeff Buckley was the artist with more potential that was taken from us too soon. I also say that he is the dead artist that is more exploited by the recording industry. After he died, different labels released so many compilations, demos, live performances that is almost sick. I doubt that he would approve it, if he was here to decide.

He died when he was 30 years old, and he released only one solo album, Grace.

I want to remember him by this album. It is a mixture of 10 great anthems. You have great Indie-Rock songs like the album title song or So Real, and then you have super delicate pieces of music like Corpus Christi Carol, Lilac Wine or the eternal Hallelujah. I almost never prefer a cover version from the original one, but in this album, it happens twice. Or thrice, if you count with Corpus Christi Carol.

The reason that I usually say that he is special, that he could achieve unbelievable things its not only because of those 10 songs, but also because of Buckley's own musicality. He can sing, play guitar, and write (lyrically and melodically) like a monster. Without a doubt, he was blessed. He was a breath of fresh air on the American musical scene.

Jeff was, and still is, one of the best ever. I still keep (and will forever do) Grace as one of my top 10 favourite albums of all time, one of the ones that I would take to a desert island.

Is always a good day to remember Jeff Buckley, so let's celebrate his legacy, his music. 

Two days ago, Jeff would be 54.  


No comments: