Friday, November 13, 2020

Pale Honey - Some Time, Alone Review

During this week, the album that was playing on my car was Devotion, the second album by Pale Honey. I love that album, it is still my favourite from them. It's very rock, brutal and raw. Direct. Brilliant.

Some Time, Alone, their new album, is  not exactly like the previous one. That's good of course, it's good to be different, it's good to evolve. Although, it's clear for me, and I want to be honest, I do prefer Devotion.

The new album is softer, calmer, a bit more electronic and has hard beating drums and killer guitar riffs. Of course, that we can find some exceptions. "Killer Scene" is a rock and heavy song, the one that could fit better to Pale Honey's previous works, it's a great song. "Treat You Good" and "Bad Things" also has that feeling during the chorus. 

Then, the rest of the songs switch between some pop/rock classic tunes, and some electronic dreamy moments.  "Beat Me" and "Heaven Knows How Far I've Gone" (quite forgettable song) are good examples of that melancholic moments. "Trouble Is The Only Thing I Know" is also introspective and it is the most heavier moments of the album, a great depressive rock song, cheers to that. The album-title song and "Set Me Free" show an attempt of the band to be more danceable and maybe, more, "modern", which is something that the band really doesn't need to; I do believe that the band is good in doing aggressive and direct rock music.

Funny enough, my favourite song of the album is "Friends" which is maybe the most commercial one. Its lunatic feeling is very sweet and enjoyable. I love it. I know it's stupid that I kinda criticised the softer songs, and my favourite one ends up being the most commercial one. But that's how music works, each tune hits you in a different way. 

So, as an overall, the album is great, a bit more relaxed then previous ones, less loud, but it has great great moments. As I said, the other albums are very direct, very plain, this one grows in you. As I am re-listening to it, I found it more and more enjoyable, specially now, in a cold Winter night.

Please, buy the album here and support Pale Honey.

https://palehoneyband.bandcamp.com/album/some-time-alone


No comments: