Monday, March 10, 2014

Visions Of The Underworld


One week ago I went to see Patrick Duff live as I reported before.
On that night I also bought his two new albums, Visions Of The Underworld and Seven Sermons To The Dead.
Last days, I can't stop listening to Visions Of The Underworld. It is superb and truly beautiful album.
The album was recorded almost live and without overdubbing or big production.
The album starts with a sad and nostalgic song about a man called Danny Freeman. The guitar's fingerings is great and fits with the melancholic feeling of the song.
Then, we meet Julie Of The Rose a more mature and secure song, full of strange and intimidating woodwind sounds.
The 3rd person is Henry James, this is the song that was dedicated for me in Patrick's last concert so it will always have a special meaning for me. The song is happier and lighter than the previous ones.
The slowest and saddest song of the album is Jesus, a personal praying for someone that has abandoned you. Patrick's voice is very sentimental and the high notes helps to make the guitar cry a little bit.
To finish the first half of the LP, Duff wrote a song about The Man Downstairs, it is probably my least favourite track on the album but, even the "not as good" song (in my opinion) is completely amazing. The track ends with some scary and wild sounds, something like a heartbeat of a beast.
Number 6 is Hail Holy Queen, a song about the feeling of dating a woman who already has children from other man. It sounds perfectly when played live and it is a very masculine and strong song.
Though Birds is one of my favourite songs form the album. Sad, simple, nostalgic and, most of all, very mysterious, perfect ingredients and you can really hear the birds through the song. At the end you can experience a very beautiful and short piece of instrumental music.
Luckiest Man I Know is a song that shows you the reason that we should never be miserable and we are blessed for being alive so, just enjoy life, and remember that it is a gift that we are all here, really here, alive and well!
Today, my favourite song from this album is Midnight Garden. The instrumental is great, the guitar really sweeps through the entire song. It is an instant classic, something that you understand in the first time you listen to a piece of music like this. Patrick's vocals are, as always brilliant, the lyrics are great and the song is dark and sad. Everything fits, the lyrics, the guitar, the tune, it is a real moment of pure magic.
To end the album, a song about receiving and being happy with all the good things that life has to give us. Thank you for everything, thank you for the Flowers On My Grave.
The album is a masterpiece. The reason why I love it so much is the fact that Visions Of The Underworld is, technically a very simple album but the melodies, the feelings, the lyrics, the message, the music is very very very complex and omnibus. It is something that, doesn't matter how my mood is, it will always make me feel good and I can always create some kind of connection with every single song.
Please, take (gain) 45 minutes of your life and enjoy the listening of this great piece of music,
Patrick Duff is touring alone this album and it is an amazing experience to see him live.

1 comment:

bethnoir said...

I agree he is amazing live and more people should hear this album.