Thursday, March 06, 2014

Patrick Duff Live At The Old Queens Head


Again (and again, and again, and again) long time since I wrote last time. My life changed, and I moved to London for six months, which is being a wonderful experience. Didn't have any particular reason not to write on Strange Sound, but it doesn't mean that the blog is dead. As I am running it since 2006 it would be a real pity just to finish it so, even if I keep a lot of months or years without writing, the blog will not close, I will just write when I feel to, and today I feel so. Why?

Last Tuesday was one of the most amazing evenings of my life, and all of it because of music!
I went to see, for the first time Patrick Duff live in a concert! The gig was in a traditional British pub, The Old Queens Head in a very beautiful room.
But, the experience started for me even before the concert. When I was walking to the place I found Patrick Duff in the street and he recognized me! Amazing really, he called my name and we were walking together to the pub talking about daily normal things. He was the nicest person on Earth and he was very happy for having me there. I was feeling like a kid who had just met his hero.

Than the concert began with Evergreen, perfect song to get a connection with the audience. Then, the already classic, Dead Man Singing, the song I was listening everyday when I made my trip by car to the south of Portugal some months ago in my happiest period of my life.
Then, another magical moment, on the first time Patrick talks with the audience he dedicates a song for "my great friend Miguel from Portugal who is here tonight". Can you believe this? Your favourite ever musician dedicating a song to you! Just like in dreams. The song was Henry James form his new album Visions of the Underworld.  
The concert continued with a magnificent setlist that included songs like Ed's Not Dead, Maria, Hail Holy Queen, Midnight Garden among others. The last song before the encore was the classic In My Junkie Clothes from his debut album Luxury Problems. I recorded the entire performance of this song and you can see it down here. Great interaction with the public and really funny moment. For the encore, Patrick came with 3 cover versions of The Beatles, Johnny Cash and The Doors. The gig ended with a big and long silence that created a great vibe in the room. You really could feel something there floating.
More than amazing, it was perfect really.

After the show I  waited for Patrick and he singed me Visions of the Underworld and Seven Sermons to the Dead. We took a photograph, talked a little bit and then I went home smiling, completely amazed and happy for this great experience.
What a day!
Take a look on the video of In My Junkie Clothes:
 

2 comments:

kissogram said...

Oh i love patrick duff :-)

Marcello said...

I was there! Absolutely magical and inspiring.
Are you going to the Bush Hall gig as well?