Saturday, January 13, 2024

RVG - Brain Worms Review

I'm still in a kind of nostalgic hangover musical mood from 2023.

I feel that I listen to a lot of new music back on that year, but was hard to memorise new bands and to listen to full album. So, I feel I listened to a lot of new music, but not in very good way, I prefer to discover a band by listening to an entire album besides listening to isolated songs.

However, that didn't happen regarding RVG's new album, Brain Worms.

I discovered it by listening to those "isolated" songs. Can't remember how but "Nothing Really Changes" and "Squid" appeared on my Spotify playlists and I loved both songs.

Then, I went to listen to their entire new album and, it was my favourite album from 2023!

The sound of the album is a kind of dramatic but intense melancholic indie rock music (exactly my style).  

"Squid" must be one of the best rock songs I heard for ages! The song is so powerful, the chorus is extremely aggressive and Romy Vager's voice is full of despair and pain. The lyrics are super interesting, like something that came out of a Kavka book. The transformation into a symbolic squid, the agony of it, just perfect. Best song of 2023!

"Nothing Really Changes" has a natural and fantastic danceable tone, the keyboards are a climax on the song. Although I might receive some hate from saying this, if a friend asks me to describe this song I would say to him "Imagine if Michael Jackson wrote an alternative rock song. Now imagine it 10 times better and there you have it".

"Tropic Of Cancer", the closing anthem, could be something wrote by Patti Smith and "Common Ground" the opener, is a beautiful ballad, sad and hopeful at the same time. "Midnight Sun" is another powerful and fast rock hymn, and, as the rest of the album very poetic "Looking at my future through a past I'll never have" must be one of the best lines I heard last times.

The rest of the album is very consistent, the high quality standard goes through all songs, without exception. 


No comments: