Friday, November 02, 2018

The Importance Of The White Album

The Beatles, or the White Album, is turning 50th. There's is going to be a 6 CD deluxe pack with remastered versions, a lot of demos, sessions, never before released songs, etc. A treasure for Beatles fans.

I see The White Album a little bit different from what i actually read in the news.
By this time, the band had reached the climax of their psychedelic transformation with the release of Sgt. Peppers just after the lunatic Magical Mystery Tour. Their transformation really begun with the release of Rubber Soul. They become a more complex band, and left a side their "shaking" tunes. However, their success never fell, and they continued to be the world's most famous band.

As I said, this album just after their climax, and after a climax the only way is down. Which can be a very good thing actually. Did we really wanted The Beatles to become stranger and stranger? I don't think it would sound that good so, in my opinion, they did well when they tried to conciliate their new sound with their rock n' roll roots.

The result was a very long, funny, enjoyable album.
Back In The USSR brings some California vibes, Ob-La-Di is a masterful pop song with one of the best bass lines ever and there some comic great and a little forgotten songs like "Bungalow Bill", "Piggies", "Rocky Raccoon" or "Cry Baby Cry".

Then, there is space for typical McCartney ballads. "Martha My Dear", "I Will", "Honey Pie" and, probably, one of the most important Beatles songs "Blackbird" stand among those genious little "granny" songs from Paul. However, the songwriter also let his wild persona take over when he wrote authentic adrenaline songs like the superb "Helter Skelter" or "Why Don't We Do It In The Road". Mainly, the influence of "Helter Skelter" on most of the modern music is undeniable. You can hear its influence on Metal, Hard-Rock, Pop, Rock, Punk, almost every listenable style of music today. The song is incredible, a starting point for anyone who has ever picked a guitar.


Also, I think that during this time, Lennon started to become the revolutionary artist that would define his solo career. "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", "Revolution I" and "I'm So Tired" are songs on the same lines of his Imagine album. The, both of the albums end with cheesy ballads from John and, more amazingly, one of them "Good Night" is sung by Ringo, and it gives it a very paternal feeling.

After writing marvellous things about the songwriting of John and Paul, I choose my favourite song from the album the mythical "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from George (and Eric, of course). This is a very inner song. I think that you can listen the sadness of Harrison during this time on the song. It's a dark melody, with ramping guitar riff, from a man who wanted his songs to be taken more seriously. Fucking brilliant, a moment of history. Actually, I think that it is because of this that George is my favourite Beatle. He was standing there, waiting for his time to come, on the shadow of John and Paul and, in the end, he wrote a lot of my favourite Beatles songs and my favourite solo album by any of them.

Well, 50 years after, The White Album is still a modern very well balanced rock album, made by the most important band of the world. An essential listen to any music fan.

No comments: