Saturday, January 16, 2016

5 Fantastic Not-Famous Bowie Songs



David Bowie died early this week and a lot of people are sharing a lot of his songs around the internet, and that's great.
Obviously, the most shared ones are the big hits, the most successful ones. I did the same. To remember his talent on Facebook I shared the song "Heroes" one of my favourites and a song that means a lot to me.

However, it is a pity to limit the Bowie legacy to his most famous songs, so, I'll share 5 fantastic not worldwide famous David Bowie songs from different parts of his life.

01 - Lady Stardust (from Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars 1972)
I wanted to put here Rock n´Roll suicide but, although it wasn't a single, it is also a signature song for him.
I choose Lady Stardust because lately I'm playing a lot this song. Some time ago I was a much bigger fan of Moonage Daydream or Star or Five Years, but there's sometimes on the melody that makes me sing it with great passion. The song is not about Ziggy's wife (or maybe it is) but about Marc Nolan. Bowie was a big fan.

02 - Lady Grinning Soul (from Aladdin Sane 1973)
Bowie chose this song for is compilation iSelect which featured his personal favourite songs while trying to avoid most of his greatest hits.
It is the end song of his classic album Aladdin Sane and a song that resumes very well his sound at the time. Very complexed, very dramatic with the remarkable Mike Garson on the piano. A true classic.

03 - Neuköln (from "Heroes" 1977)
Bowie, specially during his Berlin years did a couple of very interesting and very dark instrumental tracks. The most famous one is probably Warszawa, but my personal favourite is Neuköln. It is so dark, so evil that brings a really creepy atmosphere. It's fantastic and the Saxophone (played by him) is what guides the melodramatic tune of the songs. Incredible.

04 - If I'm Dreaming My Life (from "hours..." 1999)
Fantastic songs from the 90's. It's a pure Pop/Rock song with heavy electric guitar and nice solos, but what really makes the song is the ending coda. So good, so perfect, so Bowie.

05 - Heathen (The Rays) (from Heathen 2002)
One of my favourite Bowie songs from one of my favourite albums. THe lyrics are so beautiful and the way the song goes from up and downs is so intense. Bowie's vocal is at his best really. The drum and the keyboards also contribute to a great song. Fantastic, one of those songs I'll keep with me forever.

No comments: